Wednesday, July 9, 2008

*NEW* Weird Names List

I have a new source of deeply strange names-- Economists whose books are reviewed in The Journal of Economic Literature. As a part of my job as a part-time Circulation Monkey (formal title) at MIT's Dewey Library of Management and Social Sciences, I have become responsible for going through the aforementioned journal and marking down which reviewed books we have in the system (plain check mark) and which ones we don't (check mark with a dour little empty circle above it). This is the kind of data entry busy work that would make me go off my head *if* the lovely Anna Mickelsen had not Shown Me The Light in the summer of '05-- the Light, that is, of Funny Name list making. And thankfully Economists are just as prone to funny names as the Tenacity students of yore. To Wit, from today we've had:

1. Jurgen Backhaus (which sounds like an outhouse made by Ikea)
2. Svetlana Boyar, and her co-author Sergei Levendorski
3. And my personal favorite....


....


....


Christian. Fries.

I know that none of these are quite as funny as the best funny name of all time (Her Majesty Gilmore), but nevertheless, they do keep a thoroughly repetitive job quite sweetly engaging.

5 comments:

Anna M said...

Here's one I came across just now...could be me in another life:

Mrs. Anna (Muzzin) Szpakowski

Cassandra Mortmain said...

One I just found:

Jean Philippe Touffut. Whose feet sound as though they are made of tofu.

Cassandra Mortmain said...

Also, I *wish* your name was Mrs. Anna Muzzin Szpakowski. That would be so glorious.

Cherubino/Carmen said...

Um, hello. I've sold tickets to a man named Hyman Stein.

Kristen said...

in RE: to those red shoes i found for my comic dress:
I actually got them at Ross. (is that a nat'l chain?) I went to several stores and tried on a good 25 pairs of shoes - and Ross turned out to have just what I wanted!

good luck